Increasingly, patient medical data is shared e.g. between GP surgeries and District Nursing, in order to give clinicians access to the most up to date information when attending patients.
The systems we operate require that any sharing of medical information is consented to by patients beforehand. Patients must consent to sharing of the data held by a health provider out to other health providers and must also consent to which of the other providers can access their data.
e.g. it may be necessary to share data held in GP practices with district nurses but the local podiatry department would not need to see it to undertake their work. In this case, patients would allow the surgery to share their data, they would allow the district nurses to access it but they would not allow access by the podiatry department. In this way access to patient data is under patients' control and can be shared on a 'need to know' basis.
Online Services – Patient Records
New contractual requirements were introduced from 1 April 2014 for all NHS General Practices to offer and promote;
- Patient on-line access to appointments (not currently available due to the COVID19 situation)
- Patient on-line access to prescriptions
- Patient on-line access to certain parts of their medical record
Practices must also;
- Transfer relevant information to a patient’s Summary Care Record (SCR)
- Transfer a patient’s record electronically between Practices when patients register or de-register
Long Bennington Medical Centre currently offers all registered patients;
- On-line access to repeat prescriptions
- On-line access to a summary of their medical record i.e. medications, allergies and adverse reactions
- Relevant information is transferred to a patients Summary Care Record (SCR)
- Electronic transfer of patient’s records between practices when patients register or deregister (GP2GP)
- Online access to full clinical record from the patient record (from 1.4.2019) and only when requested by completing an updated
- From 31st October 2023 patients will have access to their prospective medical record through The NHS App.
To access these services please ask for an application form from reception, photographic ID and separate proof of address will be required. An information leaflet about our online services can be found below: