Young People

Turning 16 years of age soon?

If you are turning the age of 16 soon you may receive a letter from us informing you of the various services you can access from the Medical Centre and the region.  Here is a list of documentation you may find helpful:

If you would like to Join or Opt Out of the NHS Organ Donor register please click on this link:

How to get an appointment

You can contact the Surgery to get advice and assessment by telephone or online via askmyGP - there is a link to register on the home page of our website.   If a clinician thinks you need to be seen they can arrange for an appropriate appointment or offer advice via a telephone consultation or respond via email.  

Please note the surgery phones can be quite busy first thing in the morning so please be patient. 

If you want to look up symptoms and illnesses these websites are great resources:

If you are uncertain where to go for help and advice contact NHS 111 and they will direct you to the best place. 

If you want help with drugs and/or alcohol please contact ‘We Are Here For You’ – Tel: 01476 512953.

If you want help with weight, exercise or smoking, please contact One You Lincolnshire or telephone 01522 705 162

Sexual Health

If you need emergency contraception please don’t be embarrassed contact us via askmyGP and a clinician will contact you to advise further.   The sooner you get your emergency contraception the more effective it is. 

If you are worried about sexually transmitted diseases (STI) or require any contraception then here are further links for your information:

You can also contact the surgery via askmyGP and a clinician will advise if you require an examination.  You can either see the Doctor or Nurse (you can see a male or female doctor if you prefer, we don’t have any male nurses).

Some of our staff are trained ‘Chaperones’ if you would like a chaperone present at your consultation please let us know.  We can arrange an appointment for you with a suitable trained chaperone.

If you don’t want to see a member of our team please contact the family planning service (Grantham) on 01522 309 309 or online here

If you have an unplanned pregnancy then please contact us as soon as possible.

Can I see a Doctor or Nurse without my parents if I am under the age of 16?

Yes, you can, although obviously if you are unwell then we would encourage you to bring someone with you for support. If you want to talk about personal issues like contraception, unplanned pregnancy, STI’s etc. then you do not have to come with your parents – you can come alone, bring a school friend or your partner. Doctors and nurses and all other staff follow very strict guidelines on confidentiality.

What if I’m under the age of 13?

If you are under the age of 13 and having sex, please contact the surgery as there are things we would like you to know. Government have special guidance for us to offer you and we wish to keep you safe.

More advice

If you are still worried about confidentiality, you can always call your Doctor’s Surgery without telling them who you are and ask them some questions, like:

  • Is the information that I give you kept confidential?
  • Do you ever tell anyone else about young people who ask for contraception or advice about sex?
  • Would you ever tell anyone else about my visit without telling me first?

Some people don’t want to go to their own doctor because they feel embarrassed or because they have known them for a long time, but don’t worry, there are other doctors in our surgery and places you can go to instead if you like.

Mental & emotional health

Mental health problems range from reactions to normal life events, such as bereavement and relationship breakdowns and depression, to more complex conditions such as schizophrenia. Specialist support is available to children and young people with a range of complex mental and emotional health issues – click on the link below if you require more information about these services:  for people experiencing difficulty with any aspect of mental health or emotional wellbeing. is a free, anonymous, confidential online counselling, advice and support service for young people aged 11-19 years living in Lincolnshire.

YoungMinds also provide information and support regarding on child and adolescent mental health services (CAMHS).

Shine is a Lincolnshire mental health support network.

Ordering repeat prescriptions

If you have reached the age of 16 and would like to order repeat prescriptions yourself you can register for Online Services. Here is the link to the form you need to complete:  Access to GP Online Services Form

You will also need to come into the surgery with proof of address and photo ID to register your e-mail address with the Practice in order to get a user name and password.

How do I get my test result?

When you have a test done, ask the Doctor or Nurse how to get your result – usually if a result is abnormal we try to contact you to let you know.  Please let us know how best to reach you. Make sure you have updated YOUR contact details with the surgery, not your parents.  Please ask us to remove your landline if you do not wish us to phone home if we are trying to contact you.

Your right to a confidential service

DOH Guide to consent for young people

Even if you are under 16, you still have the same rights to confidentiality as anyone else and you should not be treated any differently.

Will the Doctor tell my parents or show them my medical records?

No - Doctors and Nurses (and in fact all our staff) have very strict rules on confidentiality and whom they share medical information with.

In exceptional circumstances, like when a Doctor or health worker thinks you might be in serious danger, they might feel there is a need to pass information on, but, even if they do, they should talk to you first before they tell anyone else. This applies to everyone, no matter what age you are.

The principles of confidentiality apply equally to all patients regardless of age. Young people (including those under 16) are entitled to equal confidentiality male or female as all other patients.

Look after your Health

Your health is very precious – look after it!  We can access treatment to help you stop smoking, give advice about healthy lifestyles and, in certain cases, provide help with weight loss. If you are going overseas, ask about travel vaccinations. If you are planning to have a baby, ask for advice about how best to prepare for it.

Going away to College/University

You will be required to register with a new GP near your College or University – however, you can still come to us for medical care whilst staying with family during the holidays – called ‘temporary registration’.  If you move out of the area you will need to register with another doctor in the area you live as we are not allowed to keep you registered with us if you do not live in the catchment area.

Please contact the surgery to check if there are any vaccinations you need prior to going to college/university, such as MenACWY. 


Feedback from young people is very important to the Surgery and we are constantly reviewing our services supporting the young people within our community.  If you have any comments or suggestions please let us know either by clicking on the Have Your Say at the top of the Home page of our website or via askmyGP. 

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website